Level 5 Leadership

 


I’ve been honored to participate in some great training sessions at the Barry Callebaut training centre in Germany. In 2011 I participated in my first management development training. It was a trip that would open my eyes to leadership in a very special way and shape the way I saw work. A key resource for our training was Jim Collins’ book, “Good to Great”; the book is a masterclass on how leadership impacts good companies that advance to the next level. 


A key concept in "Good to Great" is a phenomenon that is referred to as Level 5 Leadership. In the research that led up to the development of the book, Jim Collins and his team found that there was a certain type of leader who: 

  . Sets up their successors for even greater success in the next generation 

  . Displays a compelling modesty, is self-effacing and understated 

  . Is fanatically driven to produce sustained results 

  . Displays a workmanlike diligence

  . Attributes success to others other than themselves 


The book goes on to say that over 90% of Level 5 Leaders were hired from within the organization. 


It has been ten years since my first encounter with Good to Great and I’ve had that much time to practice the principles put forward in the book. It’s been a great resource in my professional development as I continue to grow into the leader that I ultimately want to become. 


If you’re reading this and you’re passionate about developing into a Level 5 leader, I recommend Jim Collins’ “Good to Great”.


 #barrycallebaut #leadership #goodtogreat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Quality 4.0?

FST 2 The economic impact of food safety was first documented in the early 1900

My experience as a volunteer for Grameen Foundation in Philippines: making a difference in the coconut sector with Coco Asenso